SOAL UJIAN NASIONAL-5
Pelajaran : BAHASA INGGRIS
Sat.Sekolah : SMAN I TRAWAS
Waktu : 120 Menit
By : Ahmad Murjoko
Customize Praying Before starting and Finishing The Test !
In this section of the test, you will have the chance to show how well you understand spoken English. There are 2 parts to this section, with special directions for each part.
Questions 1 to 15
Directions: In this part of the test, you will hear some dialogues or questions spoken in English. The dialogues or questions will be spoken two times. They will not be printed in your test book, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say.
After you hear a dialogues and the question about it, read the four possible answers and decide which on would be the best answer to the question you have heard. Now listen to a sample question.
Woman Excuse me, sir. I have to return this canned drink. It is expired.
Man Sorry, let me change it with a new one.
Narrator : Who are talking?
Ditulis di lembar soal siswa:
- A director and a secretary.
- A doctor and a patient.
- A teacher and a student.
- A shopkeeper and a customer.
The best answer to the question is "A shopkeeper and a customer." Therefore; you should choose answer (D).
- The man needs help.
- The woman needs help.
- The man offers help.
- The woman offers help.
- They are fishing.
- They are exchanging information.
- They are making an appointment.
- They are spending their time fishing.
- It was okay. C. It was delicious.
- It was very good. D. It was pretty.
- One o'clock. C. Half past one.
- Twelve forty five. D. Half past twelve.
At the office.
At the nurse's room.
At the ticket counter.
At the registration room.
Mr. Brown wants to know Mrs. Black.
Mr. Brown doesn't know Mrs. Black.
Mr. Brown and Mrs. Black know each other.
Mr. Brown wants to introduce himself to Mrs. BL
Nico congratulates Anna.
Nico won the competition easily.
Anna congratulates Nico.
Anna thanks Nico.
He will repair his watch.
He will leave the woman.
He will go to the headquarters.
He will have a chat with the woman.
Discussing about their interest.
Spending their free time.
Talking about the Book Fair.
Making an appointment.
The man thanks the woman.
The man responds to her gratitude.
The man answers gratefully.
The man is welcome.
He likes the woman's house.
The woman's house is big.
The woman is delighted with the man's work.
The woman has a marvelous house.
Speaker one thinks Mr. Darmawan is an ordinary person.
Speaker one is asking speaker two's opinion about Mr. Darmawan.
Mr. Darmawan shows his love to the poor children by paying attention and talking to them.
Talking care of unwanted children is Mr. Darmawan's hobby.
A. The boy feels relieve.
They boy feels displeased.
The boys feels proud of Dodi.
The boy s very sorry about Dodi.
Mary is happy.
Mary is terrible.
Mary is inconvenient.
Mary is sad.
The woman is worried about her son.
The woman is angry with her son.
The woman is confused about her son.
The woman is afraid of her son.
Questions 16 to 20
Directions: In this part of the test, you will hear 2 monologues. Each monologue will be spoken two times. They will not be printed in your test book, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say.
After you hear a monolog and the questions about it, read the four possible answers and decide which one would be the best answer to the questions you have heard.
To amuse the reader.
To persuade the reader.
To describe a past event.
To threaten the reader.
A. The farmer's cows. C. The lion.
B. The Park ranger. D. The farmers.
A. In a park. C. On a farm.
It has a lot of roses.
It has a cool clinTate.
It is situated in a valley.
Its beauty is incredible.
Because it is a royal city.
Because of its geographic location.
Because of its ruling family.
Because of its religious, political, and economic importance.
This is the end of the listening section
This text is for questions 21 to 22.
The Hesseltine Corporation
is moving 60 technicians and management-level employees to their new manufacturing
plant in the western Unite. Before the move, the company will prepare employees
cultural changes they will encounter when moving from Europe to a small town in the
American West. The employees and their families will attend special seminars on the
habits Americans. They will learn about the regional vocabulary and daily life. Without
this training, even small cultural differences could cause big misunderstandings.
21. Which of the following statements is TRUE according to the text?
- The new manufacturing plant is in an urban area
- There is a movement of employees in Hesseltine Corporation
- Before moving, the employees should know their own culture
- The seminars will be attended by the employees and their staff
- The attendance of the seminar will study how to make a travel plan
22. “……..they will encounter when moving from……..”
The underlined word means…………..
This text is for question number 23.
c = cloudy
sh = showers
PC = partly cloudy
r = rain
t = torrents
23. There were two cities which were cloudy on January 5. They were ....
Athens and Tokyo
Tokyo and Manila
Beijing and Manila
Bangkok and Seoul
Amsterdam and Taipei
This text is for questions 24 to 27.
The United Kingdom
Some people call it Britain. Others say Great Britain. Many people mistakenly call the whole country England. But its real name is a mouthful: the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That's why it's usually just called the United Kingdom, or UK for short.
The United Kingdom is a country made up of four parts: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. For centuries, it was ruled by kings and queens. The United Kingdom is still a monarchy, although today its power is mostly symbolic.
England is the biggest part. Each part was once ruled separately. London is the capital of the United Kingdom. It's located in England, and it's the biggest city in Europe. More than 7 million people live there.
When you're in London, don't forget to visit Buckingham Palace. This famous palace is the London residence of the British monarch-. Guards carefully watch over the palace grounds. Tourists enjoy watching the changing of the guards.
The queen now, Queen Elizabeth 11, has very little power when compared with the earlier English kings and queens. Today, an elected prime minister and Parliament hold most government power. But Elizabeth II is popular with her people. You'll find her image on every British stamp, banknote, and coin.
The United Kingdom is the birthplace of the English language. Today, English is spoken in more parts of the world than any other language.
English is considered one of the world's richest languages. It has more than half a million words! Why so many? Because many different people settled in Britain over the centuries, and each group added their own words.
The United Kingdom has produced many great 'writers. William Shakespeare was a great playwright and poet from England. Shakespeare wrote many famous plays, including "Romeo and Juliet"
24. The text is about ....
- parts of the UK
- the Queen of the UK
- the real name of the UK
- the United Kingdom in brief
- the origin of the English language
25. Which statement is TRUE F according to the text?
- Foreign culture have changed the English culture.
- The monarch's power influences the parliament.
- Some people call the United Kingdom, Britain.
- Each part of the UK has its own head of state.
- The queen has no authority at all.
26. The main idea of paragraph 4 is ………
- The guards watch over the palace.
- London is the home of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Tourists enjoy watching the changing of the guards.
- Buckingham Palace is the home of the British monarch.
- Queen Elizabeth II is the most popular woman in the world.
27. "He was a great playwright and poet from England." (Paragraph 8)
The meaning of the underlined word is a person who writes ....
This text is for questions 27 to 30.
Once upon a time. there was a man who liked hunting very much. He often went to the forest to hunt any animal he met.
One day he went hunting into the forest. He intended to shoot any animal he saw. He brought his gun with him. When he was searching for his prey, suddenly he saw a bird perching on a branch of a tree. It was a dove. When he was aiming his gun at the dove, suddenly an ant came and bit his foot. He was so startled that he didn't shoot the dove. It was safe and then flew away.
Several days later, the dove was flying over a lake. He saw an ant floating on the surface of the water. It was the ant that had sauced the dove's life from the hunter. The ant was almost drowned. The dove got an idea, he picked up a big leaf and dropped it onto the surface of water near the ant. Luckily the ant could get on the leaf.
The ant tried to bring the leaf to the edge of the lake and landed on the ground. The ant was safe because the dove helped him.
27. The main idea of paragraph 2 is that ……..
- An ant saved the dove's life.
- The dove tried to avoid the hunter.
- The dove was perching on a branch of a tree.
- The hunter with his gun was seeking his prey.
- The hunter was eager to shoot the animals in the forest.
28. The hunter was very ... when the ant bit his foot.
29. From the story we can conclude that both the ant and the dove are a good example for human beings because ..............
- the bird could fly over the lake
- the ant could land on the ground
- the ant could bite the hunter's foot
- the hunter couldn't shoot the dove
- they could help to save each other's lives
30. "... suddenly he saw a bird perching on a branch of a tree." (Paragraph two)
The underlined word means ...
This text is for questions 30 to 33.
ONE DAY CITY TOUR OF SAWAHLUNTO.
Sawahlunto is about 94 km from Padang, 38 km from Batu Sangkar or 137 km from Bukittinggi. If you want to go to Sawahlunto, you can start from any of these three places and take a bus, a taxi or join a trip arranged by a travel agency. If you start from Padang, you can get to Sawahlunto in two hours.
If you take a bus from Padang, you will have to pay Rp8.000. A taxi will cost you Rp200.006. If you join a trip, you will have to pay the travel agency Rp20.000.
At present., The Tourism, Art, and Culture office of Sawahlunto municipality prepares a tourist package called "One Day City Tour of Sawahlunto". If you take this package, you will be taken around the town on a tourist train, locally known as dresin, or a tourist bus.
A tourist train is available every day at Sawahlunto station. It starts at 10:00 a.m. and will take you to Muara Kalaban station, which is about five kilometers away. This tourist train can accommodate a maximum of 12 passengers and the return fare is Rp75,000.
On the way, you can see the tower of the old electric power plant and will be plunged into darkness as you enter the 900-meter-long tunnel.
If you wish to travel by bus, you can charter a tourist bus. It is big enough for 25 people and the charier fee is Rp250.000. The bus will take you around the old town, visit the living museum, the former open mining pit, the location of Ombilin Mines Training College (OMTC) and the grave of Prof M. Yamin in Talawi. Yamin, who came from Talawi, was one of our national heroes and also one of the founding fathers of the Republic of Indonesia. He was the who conceived the idea of the five principles of Pancasila. Yamin was also one of those initiated the Youth Pledge and drew the picture of Gadjah Mada, the symbol of the
When you visit OMTC, you will get information about mining activities through a simulation system of underground mining. You can also visit the geological museum and a coal mining laboratory.
At the end of your tour, you can buy local handicrafts as souvenirs.
30. The text tells us about ....
- A tour to Sawahlunto
- the resorts in Sawahlunto
- description of Sawahlunto
- transportation to Sawahlunto
31. The main idea of paragraph six is ....
- You can visit the location of OMTC
- The bus is big enough for 25 people
- You can visit the graves of some heroes
- The bus will take the visitors to the location of OMTC
- There is a tourist bus available to travel to Sawahlunto
32. Which statement is TRUE according to the text?
- Sawahlunto is located in Padang.
- The visitors will pay less if they take a taxi from Padang.
- A tourist train is available at Sawahlunto station every day.
- Information about the heroes' graves can be got from OMTC.
- Taking a tourist bus will be cheaper than taking a tourist train.
33. "_ you can charter a tourist bus." (Paragraph 6)
It The synonym of the underlined word is ....
34. Many people are protesting about the high prices of staple food especially rice. The government ... do something to improve the economy.
35. I didn't get the job ... I applied for,
36. The accident would not have happened if the driver in front had not stopped so suddenly. This means that the accident happened ....
- so that the driver in front stopped suddenly
- because the driver in front didn't stop suddenly
- when the driver in front didn't stop suddenly
- although the driver in front could stop suddenly
- despite the fact that the driver in front didn't stop suddenly
37. '1 wish I knew that Jane is ill'.
From the sentence we know that the speaker ....
- regrets that Jane is ill
- has known that Jane is ill
- has been told that Jane is ill
- doesn't know that Jane is ill
- has visited Jane in the hospital
38. While Tom was playing football, he fell and had a seriously sprained ankle. That's why the doctor ... his ankle.
39. Kus Hendratmo may not be a great actor but he is a very popular .... He presented a quiz programme on TVRI a few years ago.
40. The bus is due to be here at 9 but it hasn't arrived yet.
The underlined word means ....
41. Adi has cancelled buying the car because it ... a great deal of fuel.
42. She was very sad because the thief has stolen her most precious diamond necklace.
The underlined word means ....
43. Shinta made a nice picture by ... some coloured paper with glue on a board.
This text is for questions 44 to 46
Hepatitis C is a liver virus that cannot be .... (44) through current blood screening .... (45), two new studies offer hope. Both studies, reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that interferon - a .... (46) occurring human protein that can, be mass produced by genetically altered bacteria -stopped hepatitis C in about half the patients and returned their liver function to normal.
47. Brushing the hair increases the supply of .... to the scalp.
48. To accelerate the economic growth, social progress and cultural development is one purpose of ASEAN. "To accelerate" means ....
- hold up
- keep back
- speed up
- turn on
- slow down
49. "Computers have become as ordinary as telephones in our daily lives."
The word "ordinary" has a closest meaning to ....
50. Many vegetable species, through careful selection of varieties, can be grown in widely diverse environment. The underlined word means ....